Prevention, how to spot symptoms, and what to do in case of carbon monoxide leaks

PHILADELPHIA, PA, March 18, 2020 /24-7PressRelease/ — Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is harmful to humans and animals. Carbon Monoxide is both naturally occurring and a product of manmade processes. Some sources carbon monoxide poisoning are defective furnaces, fireplaces, flues, and oil heaters. Home appliances like furnaces, and air conditioners can also fill a home with carbon monoxide is they are not properly vented.

How to spot carbon monoxide buildup:
-Decreased hot water supply
-increase of moisture on windows
-Loose of disconnection of chimney, fireplace or appliance
-Appearance of black soot on appliances and vents
-Rust or water on vents or chimney
-Loose or missing furnace panel

What are signs of carbon monoxide poisoning:

Carbon monoxide is dangerous because there are no noticeable symptoms if levels of carbon monoxide are less than 10% in the blood stream of an individual. When carbon monoxide levels are greater than 10% in the blood stream then symptoms often appear to just be flu or cold symptoms.

Low to moderate poisoning symptoms:
-Headache
-Fatigue
-Shortness of Breath
-Nausea
-Dizziness

Severe poisoning symptoms:
-Confusion
-Vomiting
-Loss of muscle coordination
-Unconsciousness

How to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

Homeowners should have their furnace maintained and inspected once a year. Gas appliances should also be inspected once a year by a qualified technician. Homeowners should also inspect and monitor other appliances that can cause carbon monoxide buildups. If a homeowner suspects that an appliance or tool is causing a buildup of carbon monoxide, they should open a window or door to ventilate the area.

Placement of carbon monoxide detectors:

All homes should have a device in their home that monitors carbon monoxide levels. Ideally, there should be a device on each floor of the building. Smart home devices can hook into a carbon detector and can send an alert to a mobile phone. These devices should be kept at least 20 feet from any fuel burning appliances and least 10 feet from areas of high humidity. Batteries should be tested regularly. If an alarm goes off the homeowner should call a professional to check all gas burning appliances.

What to do if the detector goes off:

1. Everyone should exit the home and meet up at a designated spot
2. Check everyone for signs of carbon monoxide poisoning
3. Call 9-1-1
4. No one should re-enter the home until the it has been cleared by the authorities

About AAA Public Adjusters
AAA Public Adjusters, LLC, is a property loss consulting firm headquartered in Philadelphia, PA. Additional offices are located throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Florida, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, and North Carolina. AAA Public Adjusters have been fighting insurance companies for over 25 years. AAA Public Adjusters, Maximizing Your Claim!


For the original version of this press release, please visit 24-7PressRelease.com here